TOP NEWS






Tuesday, July 2, 2013

[Anime Review] House of Five Leaves


Summary:
Rōnin Akitsu Masasonuke is a skilled swordsman, but he has a very shy personality. This leads to multiple dismissal from his job. After another removal from work he meets Yaichi who asks him to become his bodyguard. Akitsu accepts the offer and later on is offered to become a part of "Five Leaves"--the group that Yaichi leads. Little does he know, the group performs illegal activities, which involves kidnapping for ransom. Throughout the series, Akitsu meets the members and learns why they joined such a group. He also feels as though there group is made up of "chivalrous robbers".

Review:
The Art:
The animation was different to say the least. It's not far from the traditional art, but I think it's different enough that people may judge the anime. (Ahem, never judge a book by its cover--in this case animation style?)However, I think that's an added charm to the anime itself. I loved the fact that although it is different, the characters we're still able to fully portray what they we're thinking and/or feeling. Lastly, I was absolutely infatuated with the background art. It was gorgeous.


The Music:
Song for Player: Sign of Love - Immi

Since it was an anime based during the Edo Period, I was expecting an intro similar to Samurai Champloo. I really fell for the opening song for House of Five Leaves. In my opinion, it's one of the best songs used for an anime. During the anime, they didn't use any modern themed music (I think). Most of them were instrumental and carried a calming aura--which I did like, as well. However, I wasn't fond of the ending song.

The Characterization:
The House of Five Leaves is made up of, well, five people: Akitsu Masanosuke, Yaichi, Matsukichi, Umezou, and Otake. They all have a story tell as to how and why they joined Yaichi. Throughout the anime, we see their stories and form a bond with them--at least, I did.

Akitsu Masasonuke was definitely a lovable character. His reactions we're unforgettable,             especially when he first moved into the brothel. He was a very innocent and quiet person, but at    the same time he notices everything. He speaks before he thinks, but his honesty is what makes him unique in the whole group. 
Yaichi-dono. Wow, a lot of problems. His character is the anti-hero of the anime. I didn't really find him amusing, but his story drove the whole anime to its conclusion. It was really nice to see his weakness in the finale, because it shows that he did need someone to lean on. 
Matsukichi was just there in the beginning, but during his episode I felt like I could understand                 his character more. Although the anime is for a mature audience, I was hoping to see him with his family. Alas! It didn't come truee. 
 Umezou. I loved his character. His interactions with all the characters we're simply powerful. His overprotective nature over his daughter is lovable and it even transcends towards the group. He's not only the father figure for his daughter, but for the whole group as well. 
Otake was breathtaking. I really liked the way she looked. She once worked in a brothel from    where Yaichi paid for her freedom. I didn't really see a significance in her, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

The Plot:
The plot centers around Masasonuke and Yaichi--mostly Yaichi. It's based on Yaichi's past, the reason as to why the members joined Five Leaves, and Masasonuke's insights. I wouldn't call the plot linear, but to some degree it is. We are given new information in the beginning of the story and throughout the episodes the characters are given meat into who they are and how some of them are connected to one another. By giving life to the characters, watchers begin to form a bond with them--at least I did.

At first it was slow-paced, but as we progress the story becomes much more. By no means am I a big fan of slice-of-life and samurai animes, but this one took my heart. I basically marathon-ed the whole anime, because it was really good--which I didn't expect at first.

Final Judgment:
Definitely a shocking anime, because it I didn't expect what I watched. It's one of those anime gems that can be easily surpassed because of the art style and a slow-paced beginning. I think that it is mainly targeted towards older teens and adults, more so, for the mature minded. Although it is about crime, it doesn't carry much violence. It has some light sexual innuendos, but they're are implied and not shown.

 

0 comments: